Beech Village Website
Welcome to the Website of the Hampshire village of Beech. This site is published on behalf of the Beech Village Hall and Recreation Ground Management Committee.
Have you seen…
- The BGs’ (Beech Gardeners) page recently? Click here to see what this active village club has been up to recently and its forthcoming programme of events.
- The report and pictures from this year’s Bonfire Night?
- Details of the village’s Christmas celebrations both secular (immediately below) and sacred (scroll on down) – including your chance to choose the carols at the Carol Service on Sunday 22nd December!
Get ready to party!
Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the Beech Christmas Parties, which this year take place over the weekend of 14-15th December.
Adult Party: Saturday 14th December
Tickets are selling FAST for this must-attend event so if you haven’t already reserved yours, call Peter on 563421 or e-mail now!
- Traditional 2-course Christmas Dinner followed by coffee with table service. Catering is again courtesy of Sandra Johnson who cooks for the Watercress Belle – menu details below
- The return of the Village Panto! We’d love to give you more details about this long-awaited event, but the producers have sworn everyone to secrecy so you’ll just have to come along and find out for yourselves!
- Champagne & Chocolates RAFFLE
- Also back by popular demand, the fabulous Paul Fleming disco! All your favourite tunes guaranteed to get you on your feet however much you’ve eaten!
Adult Christmas Party Menu
Roast turkey with cognac, prune and apple stuffing
Pigs in blankets
Butternut squash, blue cheese and sage tart*
Roast potatoes, carrots, red cabbage and peas
Christmas pudding or mince pies with custard or cream
Coffee & mints
Tickets are £17.50 per head and numbers are STRICTLY LIMITED, so call Peter Cox NOW on 563421 or e-mail to reserve your places!
* Please request vegetarian option and mention any other dietary requirements when booking.
Children’s Party: Sunday 15th December
This has been a very special year for the children of Beech, as it saw the opening of the village’s first ever children’s playground! The Playground Action Group felt that the best way to celebrate this achievement and to thank everyone in Beech for their generous support this year was to put on an extra special party for the children.
So, thanks to a very generous second donation of £250 by the Tricycle Shop in Alton, this year’s spectacular Children’s Christmas Party will enable all the children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins of the village to come together and celebrate our new village playground!
- 11am – 1pm; lunch provided for the children
- A fun-packed Winter Wonderland party!
- Seasonal games & disco
- Plus the visit of a VERY SPECIAL PERSON!
Tickets just £3 per child (to cover the cost of food & drink) available in advance from Jo on 590636 or by e-mail.
Please bring a small, labelled gift for each child.
The true meaning of Christmas…
Advent Anthems at Alton Abbey
Friday 13th December, 7.30pm
The Order of St Benedict invite you to carols by candlelight in the Abbey Church, followed by mulled wine and nibbles.
Tickets £5: available from Br John OSB, Alton Abbey, Abbey Road, Beech, Alton, GU34 4AP, or pay on the day. Cheques should be made payable to Alton Abbey, please include a SAE and contact email or telephone number. For further information please e-mail.
Carols and Readings at St Peter’s
Sunday 22nd December, 4.30pm
Please contact Sarah Neish on 565696 or by e-mail with a list of your favourite Carols by 1st December.
Depending on how many suggestions are received, the Carols will either be sung at this service or at the…
Christmas Day Service
9.15 am at St Peter’s Church
Christmas Fayre a big success
Saturday November 30th saw this year’s Beech Christmas Fayre off to a flying start. There were 21 different stall holders squeezed into a festive looking hall, with a wonderful array of different crafts and gifts on sale.
Tables groaning with cushions, Sally Cox and her students all selling their paintings, Medstead’ s interesting Paper Furniture, books, cards, George Gate’s lovely local photographs, Gayle Bicknell, head of fabric at Alton College, had some glorious bags, lampshades and other items made from her own printed fabrics. There were several tables of jewellery, always a winner at Christmas time, Mike Bush’s distinctive pottery, and sadly the last time David Comely will be selling his turned wood products, as he is leaving the area.
There were Aloe Vera potions, and 2 girls raising money for their foreign adventure, Charlotte Ward sold out of her delicious cakes in aid of her VSO project. Stella Charman and Verity Bonwitt ran a tombola with all prizes made in Uganda, and they raised enough to buy 50 mosquito nets for the Providence Children’s Home, and were delighted with the generosity and interest shown by everyone in the work of their two charities.
The smell of bacon being cooked pervaded the hall and hungry shoppers and stall-holders were able to refuel on bacon rolls, coffee and flapjacks. There was Christmas music in the background, and with the buzz of everyone getting in the mood for Christmas shopping, it all made for a really enjoyable event!